Written by: Scott Mertie

On October 11, 2018, the Nashville Historical Commission installed a historical marker recognizing the four breweries that operated in Germantown (North Nashville) in the 1860s.  Scott Mertie, author of Nashville Brewing (Arcadia Publishing 2006) and owner of the Nashville Brewing Company, had this marker commissioned as a way to memorialize the brewing trade that the German immigrants brought to Nashville in the mid-1800s.  The back of the marker depicts a 1860s map locating the four breweries: North Nashville Brewery, Rock City Brewery, Cumberland Brewery, and Nashville City Brewery.  All four Germantown breweries were located just blocks from each other on Cherry and Summer Streets (now 4th Ave N and 5th Ave N, respectively).   The Germantown Brewery District historical marker is located on the corner of 5th Ave N. and Madison. 

This is the second brewery related historical marker commissioned by the Mertie family.  The first marker was installed in 2011 on 6th Avenue South at the original location of the Nashville Brewing Company (1859-1890) and the Gerst Brewing Company (1890-1954).  Jessica Reeves of the Nashville Historical Commission stated “we are proud to have a local beer authority like Scott Mertie to put forth the research and expense for these historical markers recognizing Nashville’s rich brewing heritage.”